Special Education/Special Education Teacher
Additional Information: Show/Hide
Job Summary: The special education teacher’s primary goal is to provide instructional services to children with disabilities according to the child’s Individual Education Program (IEP). The teacher is responsible for developing objectives and timelines that are appropriate to the student’s needs as indicated in their IEP. The teacher is responsible for planning and implementing engaging instruction that is aligned with the curriculum, but modified to meet the needs and abilities of each student. The teacher may need to provide instructional support within a co-teaching, push-in, resource and/or self-contained setting. The teacher monitors student progress and communicates regularly with parents, staff, and administrators. The teacher collaborates with other classroom teachers and related service providers in the development and implementation of best practices, thus ensuring that the special education student’s needs are met in all school settings.
- Current and valid Illinois Professional Educator License with a LBS1 unlimited endorsement;
- Foundational knowledge of distance learning structures and of Google Suite applications;
- Experience working with non-verbal autistic students preferred;
- Individual must be flexible, creative, and child-centered;
- Candidate must be able to modify the general education curriculum using a variety of instructional strategies and supplemental curriculums;
- Candidate shall have knowledge of strategies that can be used to address the communication, behavior, and sensory needs of students;
- Candidate must be able to model and teach students socially acceptable behaviors, employing such techniques as behavior modification and positive reinforcement programs;
- Familiarity with EASYIEP, as well as the ability to work with the Special Education Coordinator to facilitate IEP meetings;
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred.
Salary and Benefits:
- Starting salary of $47,357; (Please click the link to view the current Salary Schedule);
- Salary is commensurate with education and experience and includes a competitive benefits package;
- Employee assistance program offered to employees and their immediate family members;
- Qualified candidates may be granted up to eight years of verified full-time public-school teaching experience for credit on the salary schedule;
- We offer a mentoring program for teachers who are new to the District.
Application Procedure: Submit application on-line www.district130.org
Cook County School District 130 is an Equal Opportunity Employer.