“Empowering Iowa’s communities to make more environmental, conservation-minded decisions and improvements through direct service work, environmental education, professional development opportunities, and volunteer engagement.”
3-month Summer AmeriCorps Positions Available
Green Iowa AmeriCorps operates through the University of Northern Iowa’s Center for Energy and Environmental Education (UNI CEEE) in Cedar Falls. The program is looking to recruit passionate and motivated individuals for a three-month service experience in one of our service locations throughout Iowa.
Green Iowa AmeriCorps program provides AmeriCorps members with the unique opportunity to enhance their professional development goals, cultivate community-wide relationships, and work toward making Iowa a more sustainable, eco-nomic state. Read more about each of our program, service activities, and view a full list of our host site locations by visiting our website at greeniowaamericorps.org
Member Service Activities: Member’s daily service activities vary by host site but all members in our program, regardless of host site, have programmatic performance metrics that they work to complete during their terms. These include the following:
- Creating educational opportunities surrounding the environment, sustainability, energy, and more for community members of all ages
- Organizing and participating in community outreach projects to engage volunteers in meaningful environmental service activities
- Energy focused sites receive training to provide energy efficiency services to residents in Iowa through our Energy Audit process, Energy Saver Kits, and more.
- Resilient Iowa Community sites provide support for the creation of Greenhouse Gas Inventories and Climate Action Plans in their communities.
- Sustainable Schools sites provide education and resources to school districts to reduce energy consumption and waste production.
- Land & Water focused sites provide assistance with water quality monitoring and mitigation efforts and land management/restoration services.
Terms: The three-month position is considered a ‘minimum time’ position.
Minimum Time: 300 hours (25-27hrs/wk) with a Living Allowance of $2,750 (approx $916/month) and $1,374.60 Segal Education Award.
- Living Allowances are distributed evenly in monthly installments by the University of Northern Iowa over the course of the service term and pro-rated for months where members are not serving the full month. Please note this is taxable income and the monthly installments will vary depending on how you choose to fill out your tax information.
- Segal Education Awards are contingent upon successful completion of the program. Education Awards can be used to pay for college or technical school, pay back qualified student loans and more. For more information about the Segal Education Award please visit: americorps.gov/members-volunteers/segal-americorps-education-award
- Flexible vacation and sick leave are available throughout the term of service.
- Outside employment and school attendance is allowable during off hours.
Term Commitment: There are two different start date options for the three-month service term experience. Members must be able to serve the entirety of the six-month commitment.
- May 22nd, 2023 – August 22nd, 2023
- June 1st, 2023 – August 31st, 2023
Program Benefits: Training and certification(s), individualized professional development opportunities and funding, Segal Education Award upon successful completion, monthly living stipend distributed by UNI, leadership experience, and AmeriCorps Member Assistance Program (MAP).
- At minimum must be high school graduates, GED recipients, working on attaining a high school diploma or GED during their term of service
- Be 17 years or older (no upper age limit)
- Pass a national service criminal history check
- Hold one of the following U.S. citizenship statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident
- Have a valid driver’s license or other government issued photo identification.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: Green Iowa AmeriCorps is committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse, and equitable culture and are striving to include these practices within our organization and work across Iowa. We believe embracing diversity creates lasting impacts on communities, where people are valued for who they are and their own unique experiences. It is vital to our mission to foster a culture where our service members and community partners feel valued, supported, and included in every aspect of service. We commit to using these practices in our passion for environmental stewardship.
Contact GIACrecruitment@gmail.com with questions or apply via our website: https://www.greeniowaamericorps.org/open-positions